Gautam Dasgupta studies theoretical methods and their practical implementation in stress analysis problems. His interests encompass civil engineering responses of structural foundations to probabilistic analyses of spacecraft failure; morphometric analyses and preservation of historic structures. In the realm of engineering education, he has focused on computer mathematics.
Dasgupta proved the Almansi theorem in anisotropic elasticity and developed the finite element modeling of infinite domains. He developed a numerical integration procedure for viscoelastic responses. He initiated shape function vectors, stochastic Green’s functions, and closed-form perturbation.
Dasgupta received a BE in civil engineering in 1967, an MS in Applied Mechanics from the Bengal Engineering College, Shibpur, India, and a PhD in structural engineering and structural mechanics from the University of California, Berkeley, in 1974. He was a post-doctoral fellow in Berkeley from 1974 to 1977. He joined Columbia University in June 1977. He was the founding chair for the International Mathematica Symposium, and has been the vice chair of the Turing Centenary Colloquia. He chaired ASCE and ASME groups on elasticity, structural dynamics, and probabilistic analyses and biomechanics.
He has been on the research teams of the World Monument Fund, NY; a Japanese group for preservation of Angkor, Disaster Prevention committee, Osaka, Japan; and a teaching/learning iCenter of Tsinghua, Beijing, China, where he has been an honorary professor since 2013.
- Postdoctoral fellow, UC Berkeley, 1974 to 77; Humbolt Fellow 1987 to date, Fulbright Senior Fellow 1998 to date
- Faculty member, Columbia University since 1977
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- International Mathematica Symposium (IMS)
- G. Dasgupta and J. M. Kelly, “Projectile impact on a thin, flexible structure: A singular dynamic contact phenomenon,” Journal of Structural Mechanics, Taylor & Francis, vol. 5, no. 1 (1977).
- G. Dasgupta and J. L. Sackman, “An alternative representation of the elastic-viscoelastic correspondence principle for harmonic oscillations,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, ASME, vol. 99, no. 1 (1977).
- G. Dasgupta and and A. K. Chopra, “Dynamic stiffness matrices for viscoelastic half planes,” Journal Engineering Mechanics Division, ASCE, vol. 105, no. EM5 (1979).
- G. Dasgupta, “Foundation impedance matrices by substructure deletion,” Journal Engineering Mechanics Division, ASCE, vol. 106, no. EM3 (1980).
- G. Dasgupta, “A finite element formulation for unbounded homogeneous continua,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, ASME, vol. 104, no. 3 (1982).
- G. Dasgupta, “Validity of Almansi theorems for anisotropic boundary elements,” Journal of Aerospace Engineering, ASCE, vol. 5, no. 2 (1988).
- G. Dasgupta, “Integration Within Polygonal Finite Elements,” Journal of Aerospace Engineering, ASCE, vol. 16, no. 1 (2003).
- G. Dasgupta, “Interpolants Within Convex Polygons: Wachspress’ Shape Functions,” Journal of Aerospace Engineering, ASCE, vol. 16, no. 1 (2003).
- G. Dasgupta, “Stochastic shape functions and stochastic strain–displacement matrix for a stochastic finite element stiffness matrix,” Acta Mechanica, Springer Verlag, vol. 195, no. 1-4 (2008).
- G. Dasgupta, “Incompressible and Locking-free Finite Elements from Rayleigh Mode Vectors,” Acta Mechanica, Springer Verlag, vol. 223, no. 8 (2012).
- Xiaozheng Li, Alan C. West, and Scott Banta, “Enhancing isobutyric acid production from engineered Acidithiobacillus ferrooxidans cells via media optimization,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 113, 790 (2016).
- Ruixing Zhu, Michael Vallance, Saeed Khalehi Rahimian, and Alan C. West, “Galvanostatic Intermittent Titration Study of the Positive Electrode of a Na|Ni(Fe)-Chloride Cell, J. Electrochem. Soc., 162, A2051 (2015).
- K. W. Knehr, Christopher Eng, Yu-chen Karen Chen-Weigart, Jun Wang, and Alan C. West, “Transmission X-ray microscopy of the galvanostatic growth of lead sulfate on lead: Impact of lignosulfonate,” Electrochimica Acta, 168, 346 (2015).
- Constantine Spanos, Sarah A. Berlinger, Aditya Jayan, Alan C. West, “Inverse Charging Techniques for Sulfation Reversal in Flooded Lead-Acid Batteries,” J. Electrochem. Soc., 163, A1612 (2016).
- K. W. Knehr, Nicholas W. Brady, Christina A. Cama, David C. Bock, Christianna N. Lininger, Amy C. Marschilok, Kenneth J. Takeuchi, Esther S. Takeuchi, and Alan C. West, “Modeling the mesoscale transport of lithium-magnetite electrodes using insight from discharge and voltage recovery experiments,” J. Electrochem. Soc., 162, A2817 (2015).
- Owen Crowther and Alan C. West, “Effect of Electrolyte Composition on Lithium Dendrite Growth,” J. Electrochem. Soc., 155, A806 (2008).
- Joshua W. Gallaway and Alan C. West, “PEG, PPG, and Their Triblock Copolymers as Suppressors in Copper Electroplating,” J. Electrochem. Soc., 155, D632 (2008).
- Zhengwei Liu, Jun Wu, Alan C. West, “Electrochemical Quartz Crystal Microbalance (EQCM) Studies of Gold Oxidation in Cyanide Baths,” Electrochemical and Solid State Letters, 14, D1 (2011).