Ioannis A Kougioumtzoglou
Ioannis A. Kougioumtzoglou and his research group develop primarily analytic and numerical methodologies for stochastic response analysis, reliability assessment, and optimization of complex engineering systems and structures subject to uncertainties. These methodologies lead eventually to robust and efficient design of dynamic systems ranging from the nano-scale (e.g. nano-mechanical oscillators) to the macro-scale (e.g. energy harvesters and civil infrastructure systems).
Specific theoretical research themes include nonlinear stochastic dynamics and path integrals, fractional calculus modeling, computational stochastic mechanics, data-driven uncertainty quantification methodologies, and signal processing techniques. Additional research endeavors with diverse applications in structural, earthquake, marine and biomedical engineering include uncertainty modeling and propagation via joint time-frequency analysis tools such as wavelets, as well as analysis of high-dimensional and/or incomplete data via sparse representations and compressive sampling.
Prof. Ioannis A. Kougioumtzoglou received his five-year Diploma in Civil Engineering from the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA) in Greece (2007), and his M.Sc. (2009) and Ph.D. (2011) degrees in Civil Engineering from Rice University, TX, USA. He joined Columbia University in 2014, where he is currently an Associate Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering & Engineering Mechanics. He is the author of approximately 150 publications, including more than 80 technical papers in archival International Journals. Prof. Kougioumtzoglou was chosen in 2018 by the National Science Foundation (NSF) to receive the prestigious CAREER Award, which recognizes early stage scholars with high levels of promise and excellence. He is also the 2014 European Association of Structural Dynamics (EASD) Junior Research Prize recipient “for his innovative influence on the field of nonlinear stochastic dynamics”. Prof. Kougioumtzoglou is an Associate Editor for the ASCE-ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty in Engineering Systems and an Editorial Board Member of the following Journals: Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, and International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics. He is also a co-Editor of the Encyclopedia of Earthquake Engineering (Springer), and has served as a Guest Editor for several Special Issues in International Journals. Prof. Kougioumtzoglou has co-chaired the ASCE Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference 2021 and Probabilistic Mechanics & Reliability Conference 2021 (EMI 2021 / PMC 2021), and has served in the scientific and/or organizing committees of many international technical conferences. Prof. Kougioumtzoglou is a member both of the American Society of Civil Engineers (M.ASCE) and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (M.ASME), while he currently serves as a member of the ASCE EMI committees on Dynamics and on Probabilistic Methods. He is a Licensed Professional Civil Engineer in Greece, and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) in the UK.
- Associate professor of civil engineering and engineering mechanics, Columbia University, 2019 - present
- Assistant professor of civil engineering and engineering mechanics, Columbia University, 2014 – 2019
- Lecturer in uncertainty and engineering, University of Liverpool, UK, 2011-2014
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Engineering Mechanics Institute (EMI)
- International Association for Structural Safety and Reliability (IASSAR)
- European Association for Structural Dynamics (EASD)
- Bernoulli Society for Mathematical Statistics and Probability
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy, UK (HEA)
- Technical Chamber of Greece (Licensed Civil Engineer)
- CAREER Awardee, National Science Foundation (NSF), 2018-2023
- Junior Research Prize, European Association of Structural Dynamics (EASD), 2014
- Keynote Speaker:
ICOSSAR 2021-2022 Conference: Early Career Lecture, 2022
ICVRAM-ISUMA-UNCERTAINTIES Conference, Keynote Lecture, 2018
- Associate Editor:
ASCE-ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty in Engineering Systems
- Editorial Board Member:
Journal of Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing
Journal of Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics
International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics
- Kougioumtzoglou I. A., Petromichelakis I., Psaros A. F., 2020. Sparse representations and compressive sampling approaches in engineering mechanics: A review of theoretical concepts and diverse applications, Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, vol. 61, 103082: 1-20.
- Petromichelakis I., Kougioumtzoglou I. A., 2020. Addressing the curse of dimensionality in stochastic dynamics: A Wiener path integral variational formulation with free boundaries, Proceedings of the Royal Society A, vol. 476: 20200385.
- Miller E., Dos Santos K. R. M., Marshall R. S., Kougioumtzoglou I. A., 2020. Joint time-frequency analysis of dynamic cerebral autoregulation via generalized harmonic wavelets, Physiological Measurement, vol. 41: 024002: 1-11.
- Petromichelakis I., Psaros A. F., Kougioumtzoglou I. A., 2020. Stochastic response determination of nonlinear structural systems with singular diffusion matrices: A Wiener path integral variational formulation with constraints, Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, vol. 60, 103044: 1-15.
- Psaros A. F., Kougioumtzoglou I. A., 2020. Functional series expansions and quadratic approximations for enhancing the accuracy of the Wiener path integral technique, ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, vol. 146 (7), 04020065: 1-17.
- Psaros A. F., Kougioumtzoglou I. A., Petromichelakis I., 2018. Sparse representations and compressive sampling for enhancing the computational efficiency of the Wiener path integral technique, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, vol. 111: 87-101.
- Petromichelakis I., Psaros A. F., Kougioumtzoglou I. A., 2018. Stochastic response determination and optimization of a class of nonlinear electromechanical energy harvesters: A Wiener path integral approach, Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, vol. 53: 116-125.
- Malara G., Kougioumtzoglou I. A., Arena F., 2018. Extrapolation of random wave field data via compressive sampling, Ocean Engineering, vol. 157: 87-95.
- Kougioumtzoglou I. A., Fragkoulis V., Pantelous A., Pirrotta A., 2017. Random vibration of linear and nonlinear structural systems with singular matrices: A frequency domain approach, Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 404: 84-101.
- Spanos P. D., Kong F., Li J., Kougioumtzoglou I. A., 2016. Harmonic wavelets based excitation-response relationships for linear systems: A critical perspective, Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, vol. 44: 163-173.